Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Not The Odyssey But "Theodicy"


Here is a poem, of sorts, that I handed in years ago, for extra credit in my Minor Prophets class:

Not the Odyssey but "Theodicy"
by Eddie Eddings

Habakkuk the Embracer
Clung to God with his two questions:
Had God vacated His throne?
Should I order my tombstone?
All this violence and contention
Within Judah I might mention.
It seems that justice and devotion
Took a trip across the ocean!

God answers, Judah will be punished
Observe and wonder, be astonished
For I am raising up Chaldeans
Big, bad, ugly human be-uns.

So get this vision little Hab
You can put it on my tab
Sin always carries a heavy price.
I'll crush Babylon like a bag of ice.

Woe, Woe, Woe your boat
Gently down the stream
Return to me with all your heart
I've promised to redeem.

So live by faith and you will see
I've never been an absentee;
The Chaldeans were never fancy-free
I used them like an employee.
They're not getting out of this scot-free
When I "cross my heart" it's a guarantee
So you can have a Jubilee!

P.S. someday I will visit Galilee
My Son will hang upon a tree
That's when you'll really be set free!

4 comments:

  1. I like it. In the 5th stanza, I would have put Jubilee (sp) because jamboree makes me think of the Boy Scouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...I'm changing it! You would make a good editor for Jubilee Journal. To this day, that magazine is non-existent and may very well continue to be so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Poem! You and Shai Linne should work on a project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to make the same comment as Mark. Your poem would make a great rap.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails