You are going to be banished to an island.
No computer available. No electronic gadgets like an Kindle or IPod. You can only choose 10 books to read the rest of your life. You already have a Bible so other
than the Bible - what 10 books would you choose?
I read once, (sorry I don't remember where) that we only need one:ReplyDelete
How to Build a Boat From Scratch!
I would also include some of Ryle,which happens to be my favorite author, some of Watson and a Martha Stewart Magazine, just to make my cave "pretty".
And I would love to trade four books for four notebooks... I am sure there will be lots to write about!
On the Incarnation - AthanasiusReplyDelete
Confessions - Augustine
Communion with the Triune God - John Owen
The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment - Jeremiah Burroughs
The Pilgrim's Progress - John Bunyan
Valley of Vision - Anonymous
Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis
Chosen by God - R.C. Sproul
Systematic Theology - Wayne Grudem
Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism - Joel Beeke
1. The Bible.ReplyDelete
2. The Fountain of Life, John Flavel
3. On The Incarnation, Athanasius
4. Tractates on John, Augustine
5, 6, Any 2 volumes of John Owen
7, 8, Any 2 volumes of Thomas Manton
9, 10, Any 2 volumes of Thomas Goodwin
This is too hard!
I know you said other than the Bible, but I want two versions. My ESV and my Greek NT.ReplyDelete
* Some kind of survival guide(s).ReplyDelete
* Book(s) with pictures of all the classic works of art from the masters.
* Robinson Crusoe
* Hymn book(s)
* How to Win Friends and Influence People. (Just in case.)
* The Letters of Samuel Rutherford.
* A book of poems by Christina Rosetti.
With the books in my list which may require multiple volumes, that should just about do it.
The Bible would have to be the John MacArthur Study BibleReplyDelete
1. SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea
by John Lofty Wiseman
2.Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
3. A Guide to Fervent Prayer, by Arthur Pink
4.The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
5. Matthew Henry's Commentary in one volume
6. Arthur Pink's Attributes of God
7. Valley of Vision - Collection of Puritan Prayers
8. Foundations of Grace by Steve Lawson
9. Morning and Evening: Daily Readings by C. H. Spurgeon
10. Homebrewing For Dummies
Correction: I would have to trade one of the books forReplyDelete
"Cure Spider Phobia Fast" by by CJ Walker
Just a note of information:ReplyDelete
The Moody Press book, "Gleanings in the Godhead" has all of the chapters reprinted as "The Attributes of God" in a separate paperback published by Baker Book House. "Gleanings in the Godhead" includes 28 more chapters. I am surprised that Pink left out a study of "The Righeousness of God". He touches briefly on the subject in chapter 35, "The Redemption of Christ" but, although the entire theme of the book of Romans is the righteousness of God, A.W. didn't cover it in his magnificent book.
1. Matthew Henry: Commentary on the Bible, one volumeReplyDelete
2. John Calvin: Institutes of Christian Religion
3. Charles Spurgeon: Morning and Evening
4. Bennett: The Valley of Vision
5. William Bennett: The Book of Virtues
6. A book of quotations
7. A survival book
8. Charles Spurgeon: Treasury of Psalms
9. Charles Bridges: Commentary on Proverbs
10. Charles Bridges: Psalm 19
I think I would choose:ReplyDelete
The Sovereignty of God by A.W. Pink
The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan
Body of Divinity by Thomas Watson
The New Park Street Pulpit sermons by the young firebrand, C.H. Spurgeon (6 volumes in 3 books - so it counts as 3)
Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem
The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
The biggest Hymn book available
and, knowing what little I know, a book on survival.
The Bible would be the ESV Study Bible.ReplyDelete
1. Calvin's Institutes
2. Holiness - J.C. Ryle
3. Studies on the Sermon on the Mount - Martyn Lloyd-Jones
4. Biblical Theology - John Owen
5. Morning & Evening - C.H. Spurgeon
6. Voices from the Past - Richard Rushing, ed. (Puritan devotional)
7. Either the Gadsby Hymnal or Our Hymnal from the Met Tab
8. The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment - Jeremiah Burroughs
9. A survival book of some sort like "The Swiss Family Robinson for Dummies"
10. The Complete Novels of Jane Austen (all 7 in one volume)
Orthodoxy by GK ChestertonReplyDelete
Meditations - Pascal
Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis
Godly Man's Picture - Thomas Watson
Prayer - John Bunyan
The Institutes - John Calvin
Hebrew-Greek Bible with notes
Tales of the Cassadim
How to Talk to a Liberal - Ann Coulter
Oxford Complete English Dictionary
1. New Kind of ChristianityReplyDelete
2. Purpose Driven Life
3. Purpose Driven Church
4. Your Best Life Now
5. Velvet Elvis
I have to stop now. I am laughing too hard to continue... ;-)
I would take MacArthur, Spurgeon, Edwards, Pink, and MP3s of Paul Washer...
Had me going with that Generously Unorthodox, MarsHillus, Purposely Driven Mad stuff!
We need the Spurgeonator to disgronify you non-perspicuity!
1. Biblia Hebraica StuttgartensiaReplyDelete
2. Novum Testamentum Graece
3. A Puritan Family Devotional
4, 5, 6. The Complete Works of John Bunyan (3 Volumes)
7, 8, 9. Matthew Poole's Commentary of the Bible (3 Volumes10. Charles Spurgeon's Our Own Hymnal
Top Ten Recommended BooksReplyDelete
(in no particular order)
Knowing God by J. I. Packer
The Gospel According To Jesus by John MacArthur
Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan
Desiring God by John Piper
The Valley of Vision by Arthur Bennett
10 Questions To Diagnose Your Spiritual Health by Don Whitney
Cat and Dog Theology by Bob Sjogren & Gerald Robison
Don’t Waste Your Life by John Piper
Family Driven Faith by Voddie Baucham
Then I guess I would trade my normal number ten spot for a one volume edition of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings for fun.
1.) Calvin's InstitutesReplyDelete
2.) Reymond's Systematic Theology
3.) John Owen's The Death of Death
4.) Greg Bahnsen's Presuppositional Apologetics
5.) John Owen's Communion With God
6.) William G.T. Shedd's The Doctrine of Everlasting Punishment.
7.) William Gerstner's "Jonathan Edward's on Heaven and Hell"
8.) R.C. Sproul's The Holiness of God
9.) Something by Robert Louis Stevenson, Herman Melville, or Rudyard Kipling.
10.) Something to show me how to find and make good food on the island that I'm banished to (as well as how to avoid diseases and pesky insects.)