Monday, February 23, 2009

Little Known Quotes from Spiritual Giants part 4

"Oh yeah, it's Saturday night...I had better prepare my sermon for tomorrow!" - C. H. Spurgeon

"Where did I leave my pen?" - John Owen

"Do you not know how to play Tic Tac Toe?" - John Calvin

"Yes dear, you can have a bite of my ice cream cone." - Cornelius Van Til

"Father, my birthday is right around the corner, y'know." - A. A. Hodge

"No more, please, I have had plenty of pancakes today!" - Augustine

"Students, I'm taking Thursday and Friday off!" - B. B. Warfield

"Yes, I plan on writing some sketches for the Colgate Comedy Hour. Why?" - C. S. Lewis

"Ironically, I have never been to Boston." - Thomas Boston

"How about calling our magazine, 'Tabletalk'...after all, Luther is dead!"- R. C. Sproul

"Would someone please help me hang this tire to that tree limb?" - William Carey

"Oh no...It's Arminian Day in Canada!" - A. W. Pink

"I don't think you want to hear what I think about the Pope." - Martin Luther

"Hey there, Chief Rain-on-the-Neck." - Jonathan Edwards

"John Wesley, you have been eating onions and garlic again haven't you?!" - George Whitefield

"I am up for a game of Battleship...any takers?" - John MacArthur

2 comments:

  1. I love Spurgeon's actual quote concerning Saturday night (sermon-prep) fever:

    "I believe that almost any Saturday in my life I make enough outlines of sermons, if I felt at liberty to preach them, to last me for a month, but I no more dare to use them than an honest mariner would run to shore a cargo of contraband goods. Themes flit before the mind one after another, like images passing across the photographer's lens, but until the mind is like the sensitive plate, which retains the picture, the subjects are valueless to us."

    I would love to have those outlines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was no one like Spurgeon, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails