Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Selection from Pilgrim's Progress

Then I saw in my dream that the INTERPRETER took CHRISTIAN by the hand, and led him into a place where was a fire burning against a wall, and one standing by it always casting much water upon it to quench it; yet did the fire burn higher and hotter.


Chr. Then said CHRISTIAN, "What means this?"

Inter. The INTERPRETER answered, "This fire is the work of grace that is wrought in the heart; he that casts water upon it to extinguish and put it out, is the devil: but in that thou seest the fire notwithstanding burn higher and hotter, thou shall also see the reason of that." So he had him about to the backside of the wall, where he saw a man with a vessel of oil in his hand, of the which he did also continually cast, but secretly, into the fire.



Chr. Then said CHRISTIAN, "What means this?"

Inter. The INTERPRETER answered, "This is Christ, who continually with the oil of his grace maintains the work already begun in the heart: by the means of which, notwithstanding what the devil can do, the souls of his people prove gracious still.

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
~ 2 Corinthians 12:9 ~

And in that thou sawest that the man stood behind the wall to maintain the fire; this is to teach thee, that it is hard for the tempted to see how this work of grace is maintained in the soul."

4 comments:

  1. Hallelujah! What a beautiful picture of Scriptural truth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were just listening to this section in our copy of Orion's Gate drama of Pilgrims Progress (I love the way they include the 'deep' parts, not just the adventures). A beautiful narrative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my most favorite part of Pilgrim's progress. And when I tell other about the book this is always my first example for why. Thanks Eddie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is tell others to read the book.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails