Friday, September 30, 2011

Atheist Devotional Book #2


Here is another page from the devotional designed to keep atheism evolving:

My favorite flowering plant is the hibiscus. Last summer I bought a large potted red one and put it on our patio. Nurtured by rain and our sprinkler system, the plant grew like a weed in a vegetable garden. I enjoyed immensely its rich green leaves and bright trumpet blossoms. Does evolution have good ideas or what?

This winter, as the temperature dipped near freezing, I brought the hibiscus into our sunny breakfast room to protect it from the cold. There was one problem, however: I wasn't accustomed to watering the plant and I soon forgot to. Last week I discovered the hibiscus wilted, yellow, frail and no longer breathing.

I was disgusted with myself for being so neglectful to a harmless plant. I went to the closet, got out a croquet mallet and pounded it flat in front of all my other plants. I wanted them to know that I am the master.

I walked over to one of my chrysanthemums, which was in shock, and slapped it around. Then I ran over the rest of my outside plants with my lawnmover.

In the midst of all this, I wept for their evolutionary history. Just think, if plants had become the predominant life form, we might be suffering from mistreatment in the green leaves of a Venus Flytrap!

Go gently through that good night everybody. Be positive about the negative wherever your feet find you.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. It's just what I needed. Very uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does an atheist have a "quiet time"? Do they just sit around and think about themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got two words - demon possessed

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Persis: *grins* I'm not sure what else they'd do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHAAHAHAHA! I just got it, "Faye Rosehart" - say it 10 times fast!

    These "burnt match" devotionals are just great.

    How about expanding this? You could create an Arminian devotional series called "SHRAPNEL From a Disarmed Grenade", where they talk about how amazingly sovereign man's will is? Or maybe you could call it "FRUIT From an Artificial Tree." Or "HEARTBEATS From a Dead Corpse."

    ReplyDelete
  6. THEO, creative ideas but Arminians have already covered the globe with devotionals.
    Atheists, however, are prime targets for some "Mount Carmel mocking".

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails