Monday, September 29, 2014

Story Direction and First Rule of Improv

There was a humor blog I used to read religiously (it was a religious humor blog) that had a few in-house characters developed by the creator of the site. Many times a certain follower would try and change the direction of the storyline by denying what the author had stated.

   Examples:

   Author - "Well, I hate to report this, but Sonny Day has died by spontaneous combustion. He was a great jokester. Last time I saw him, he was on fire."
   Follower -  "No, he didn't die. I saw him two minutes ago at Starbucks!"

   Author - "Our friend, Dorky LaMancha, has been kidnapped! Give me some time to do some of my famous detective work and I'll keep everyone informed of my progress. Don't worry, we'll find him!"
   Follower (commenting as Dorky) - "Hey! It's okay! I escaped and I'm back at home!"

   Keep in mind that the creator of the blog had already planned, in both senarios, to progress through a plot that would keep the readers on a certain track. He may have even pre-posted the entire story a month in advance. The follower, not knowing better, actually sabotaged the storyline.
   To avoid this kind of thing from happening, use the "Yes, and..." rule of improv. It will, not only carry the story along but gives the author freedom to continue his direction unabated.



   Examples:

   Author - "Well, I hate to report this, but Sonny Day has died by spontaneous combustion. He was a great jokester. Last time I saw him, he was on fire."
   Follower -  "Yes, he was. I saw that same act. He was smokin' hot!"

   Author - "Our friend, Dorky LaMancha, has been kidnapped! Give me some time to do some of my famous detective work and I'll keep everyone informed of my progress. Don't worry, we'll find him!"
   Follower  - "Oh, man! I hope you find him! He has my Pipi Longstocking DVD!"


   The reason I post this is because I am concerned that I may have offended one of my CC members. At this time, I am pre-posted up until the end of October. My direction is deliberate. One of the comments was written as Benny Finney when I announced his death by SCUD missile, stating that he was still alive.

   Please don't take it personal. For my storyline arc to be successful and continue with the pre-posted and pre-planned events, I was forced to delete the comment. 

   I absolutely treasure each and every comment made on CC and would love to see many more. I have said this before...comments are like putting tips in a tip jar or money in a hat of a street entertainer. I really appreciate it.


   FYI, when I was taking an improv class many years ago, the first thing I did when I got on stage was to deny what someone had stated. I didn't realize what I was doing. The instructor stopped everything and educated me on the spot. I have never forgotten that lesson...nor the fact that he still has my Pipi Longstocking DVD. 

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails